Saturday, November 19, 2016

Review: The Dare and the Doctor

The Dare and the Doctor The Dare and the Doctor by Kate Noble
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've loved the previous books in Kate Noble's "Winner Takes All" series, but for some reason I found it a bit difficult to get into this installment. I enjoyed getting to know Margaret as a secondary character in the previous book, but initially, I found it difficult to connect with her as the heroine of her own story. When the book began, I think she still had some growing up to do. However, as events unfolded and Margaret finally ventured outside the comfort zone of her greenhouse, she had the opportunity to learn more about herself and gain some much-needed confidence.

Around the time Miss Morton's character was introduced, the dynamic between Rhys and Margaret began to get a lot more interesting. If it weren't for Miss Morton providing an external motivation, I'm not sure Margaret and Rhys ever would have ended up together. They both seemed pretty determined to maintain the fiction that they were nothing more than "academic correspondents," or, at the most, friends. Miss Morton, as well as the interference from the Gray family, provided exactly the push Rhys and Margaret needed to find their way to each other.

Overall, this was an entertaining read, and I enjoyed catching up with the couples from the earlier books in the series. Hopefully we haven't left these characters behind entirely, although the epilogue did wrap things up pretty nicely.

*ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)