Thursday, January 23, 2020

Review: Love Her or Lose Her

Love Her or Lose Her Love Her or Lose Her by Tessa Bailey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked Tessa Bailey's "Love Her or Lose Her" better than the previous book in this series ("Fix Her Up"), but unfortunately I didn't love it the way I wanted to. On one hand, the story had quite a few funny moments and had me laughing out loud several times; I particularly enjoyed the Minions-themed game of Chubby Bunny that main characters Rosie and Dominic played in their therapist's office. I also really liked Rosie, who was an interesting secondary character in "Fix Her Up" but really shined in this book. She proved to be warm, intelligent, fun, and very passionate about cooking and her dream of opening a restaurant. I loved the way Rosie pursued the things she needed to be happy and fulfilled, refusing to settle for anything less than she deserved.

On the other hand, there were a number of times I found myself growing frustrated with Dominic, a dirty-talking alpha with poor outside-the-bedroom communications skills who seemed to keep making the same mistakes over and over again. He clearly learned a lot of his behavior from his father's example, but his attitude about the need to constantly protect and provide for his wife seemed kind of archaic to me, and in a lot of cases just made him seem overprotective and possessive. IMO, Dominic took things too far when he and his friends followed Rosie and her friends into Manhattan for girls' night out. Rosie and the other women were grown adults, completely capable of taking care of themselves, and there should have been enough trust in their relationships for them to be able to spend one night apart. The fact that these men couldn't even let the women have one night on their own didn't come across as romantic to me; instead, it just seemed controlling.

I've only read a couple of Tessa Bailey's books so far, but I'm beginning to think the dirty-talking alpha hero is a recurring theme in her stories. I'm really not a fan of overly dominant heroes, and I didn't enjoy the way Dominic behaved here. If the rest of Bailey's heroes are anything like him (or Travis from "Fix Her Up"), I guess I will be skipping her books from now on.

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)