Thursday, January 9, 2020

Review: The Trouble with Christmas

The Trouble with Christmas The Trouble with Christmas by Amy Andrews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"The Trouble with Christmas" by Amy Andrews was a charming, funny, and sweet holiday-themed romance, and I enjoyed it even more than I did the previous book in this series, "Nothing but Trouble." I lost count of the number of times I laughed out loud while I was reading, but I think my favorite parts were the descriptions of the over-the-top holiday decorations (especially the festive Christmas toilet seat) and the image of main character Grady's face painted onto the body of a cherub in a reproduction Botticelli painting. I also loved when Grady and the female lead character, Suzanne, created their own Christmas movie drinking game. They were spot on in their observations about some of the common tropes of those movies! (Sidenote: If I had played a drinking game of my own and taken a shot every time the word "schmaltz" was used in this book, I would have been hammered by the time I was halfway finished reading...)

Grady and Suzanne were both very likeable main characters, and even though their relationship developed over a relatively short period of time, their feelings for each other seemed completely real and believable to me. That said, I have to admit that I found myself slightly annoyed with Grady on a few occasions because of his ongoing refusal to talk to Suzanne about his past. I was also somewhat confused about the exact circumstances of the accident in which Grady's parents and girlfriend died. Why were they together at the time?

In addition to the book's main characters, the secondary characters were a lot of fun. It was very amusing how the small town gossip cycle was on full display here, and Grady and Suzanne's relationship kept getting blown out of proportion by the town busybodies. Also, it was great to catch up with Tucker, Arlo, and Drew from the previous book in this series. I hope there are plans for each of them to get stories of their own!

At any rate, I look forward to picking up the next book in this series.

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)