Friday, January 5, 2024

Review: "A Summer with the Earl" by Maude Winters

A Summer with the Earl: An Age-Gap Billionaire Instalove Fake Relationship Romance

A Summer with the Earl: An Age-Gap Billionaire Instalove Fake Relationship Romance by Maude Winters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After graduating from university in Canada, Princess Sabine of Kent returns to London to take up her responsibilities as a working royal before starting a graduate law course in the fall. She and her sister Margaux will spend the summer on display for the eligible bachelors of their social class in the hopes of attracting a husband. The problem is that Sabine has no interest in marriage, at least not yet. That's not to say that she has no interest in men or dating, however. When she meets Malcolm Ferguson, the son and heir of the Duke of Lauderdale, at an event hosted by her parents, the attraction between them immediately burns white hot. Like Sabine, Malcolm's parents are pressuring him to get married and produce an heir, but he has no interest in giving up his carefree life as a London barrister. Quickly realizing that a fake relationship would benefit them both, Sabine and Malcolm agree to spend the summer pretending to fall in love. When the summer draws to a close, will they be able to part as friends or will they find that that their pretend feelings have become very real?

This story is a prequel to the Regency and Rivalry series, and just as in those books, Maude Winters has created a fun and engaging royal world. Malcolm and Sabine were both quite likeable and surprisingly relatable, and despite their age difference, they had a lot in common. I really liked them together and was rooting for them from the moment they met.

That said, some of the spicy scenes went beyond my personal comfort zone. This is obviously an individual preference and there are many readers who will absolutely adore this aspect of the story. For me, however, the first half of the book focused a bit too much on the steam and not enough on the growing emotional connection between Sabine and Malcolm. The second half of the book was better IMO, and I particularly felt for Malcolm's family situation and the challenges it presented for his relationship with Sabine. I was satisfied with where they ended up and the genuine connection I sensed between them.

Overall, I enjoyed "A Summer with the Earl" and would recommend it for all fans of steamy contemporary romance. I look forward to the author's next release.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)