Thursday, September 14, 2023

Review: "Matchmaking and Mixtapes" by Marie Landry

Matchmaking and Mixtapes

Matchmaking and Mixtapes by Marie Landry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Real estate agent Evelyn "Evie" Hathaway is about to turn 35, and her mother's well-intentioned (if somewhat annoying) matchmaking efforts are reaching a new level of desperation. She's throwing her daughter a birthday party and plans to use the occasion to introduce her to several of her father's younger colleagues. She's also invited Evie's childhood best friend Stella's older brother, Wesley McGrath, who's in town visiting from Ottawa. As a teenager, Evie secretly had a crush on Wesley, but nothing ever came of it; they've stayed in touch but rarely see each other because he lives so far away, plus he's always had a girlfriend...until now. Even though she doesn't want to get her hopes up, Evie can't help but notice that Wesley is acting differently towards her on this visit. Could he be preparing to admit to romantic feelings of his own?

I very much enjoyed this funny, sweet story about childhood friends finding their way back to each other and making a love connection as adults. Evie and Wesley's reminiscing about when they were kids was super cute, and I loved that they were still so comfortable with each other despite having spent so much time apart. I also appreciated that Wesley's sister Stella knew about their feelings for each other up front and wasn't upset about them dating. She was actually excited about the idea of her best friend becoming her sister, provided that her brother was sure of his feelings and had a plan to make the relationship work. Understandably, she didn't want to see either of them get hurt. Fortunately, everything worked out exactly the way it was supposed to, and I loved where Evie and Wesley ended up.

The one thing that might have improved my enjoyment of this story is if it had been narrated in dual POV. There were a few times when it seemed as if Wesley was sending mixed signals and I would have liked to better understand what he was thinking. I don't think he was doing it intentionally, but I can certainly understand why Evie misinterpreted some of his actions.

I'd recommend "Matchmaking and Mixtapes" for all sweet contemporary romance/romantic comedy fans and look forward to the next book in the series.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)