Thursday, February 27, 2020

Review: House Rules

House Rules House Rules by Ruby Lang
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I liked the first two books in Ruby Lang's Uptown trilogy, but "House Rules" was by far my favorite one of the three. This story featured likeable, relatable protagonists in their 40s, which I really enjoyed because so many of the stories I read focus on characters that are much younger than that. I'm only a few years younger than Simon and Lana, so it was easy for me to relate to where they were in their lives and careers. In particular, I had to chuckle when the aches and pains of middle age were mentioned; I can already feel them starting to creep up on me, just like they were on Lana and Simon!

I really loved the way that Simon and Lana's relationship developed over the course of the story. As former spouses, there was obviously a lot of history between them, and they had to be careful not to fall back into old patterns when they moved in together. It took time for them to get to know each other again and start to understand how they had each grown in the time they were apart. Lana found a fulfilling career and learned to ask for the things she needed to be happy, while Simon needed to learn to be more open to change and not to force his judgments on others. As more mature adults, they fit together much better than they did when they were in their 20s, and I had no problem believing that their relationship would work the second time around.

Overall, I highly recommend "House Rules" and look forward to seeing what Ms. Lang writes next.

*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)