Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Review: Brady F**king Witter

Brady F**king Witter Brady F**king Witter by Christine J. Darcy
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Based on the Hollywood setting, I was excited to read "Brady F**king Witter" by Christine J. Darcy. Unfortunately, I ended up being rather disappointed with it. My biggest problem was that I did not particularly care for either of the main characters, Haven and Brady. They weren't very well developed and I didn't feel like I got to know them much beyond the surface. The few things I did know, I didn't particularly like. Haven was alternately really aggressive and kind of pathetic in the way she constantly threw herself at Brady, and Brady was kind of a jerk a lot of the time, especially when he drank.

My other big problem with the book was that I didn't see much, if any, true emotional connection between Haven and Brady. All they ever seemed to do is have sex, which got boring by the time I was a third of the way through the story. The author tells us that they talk and laugh together, but it's never made clear what their conversations are about. Do they have common interests besides sex and, apparently, watching Netflix? Their conversations all happened off the page and the sex was the only thing described in any detail. Even at the end of the book, I honestly had no idea exactly what Haven and Brady loved about each other.

Aside from my issues with the story itself, I was somewhat bothered by the writing in this book, which pulled me out of the story quite often. It is very obvious that the author is not American because of the differences in language used. For example, there were many references to "lounges" (I think meaning a "couch" or "sofa"), Haven refers to her "mum" (she's from Alaska and much more likely to say "mom"), and there were a lot of non-American spellings used ("favourite," "licence," "tonnes," "pyjamas," etc.). Since both of the main characters were supposed to be American, it would have been a good idea to have an American editor go over the manuscript and check for these things prior to publication. In addition, the verb "to plead" was repeatedly misused throughout the book. The correct past tense conjugation is "pleaded" (or "pled," though that is more colloquial and old-fashioned); "plead" is the present tense form.

This book may appeal to readers who are looking for a quick and very steamy story, but unfortunately, I personally didn't enjoy it, and can't recommend it.

*ARC provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)