Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Review: "The Bookworm's Guide to Faking It" by Emma Hart

The Bookworm's Guide to Faking It The Bookworm's Guide to Faking It by Emma Hart
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved "The Bookworm's Guide to Faking It" by Emma Hart. Childhood best friends Holley and Sebastian had a falling out because of a misunderstanding at their senior prom, and then lost touch entirely when Sebastian left their hometown of White Peak, Montana to pursue his dream of playing professional baseball. Holley managed to avoid Sebastian for years during his infrequent visits home, but when he decided to rehab in White Peak following a potentially career-ending injury, she was forced to face him and finally come to terms with their past. The situation was further complicated by Sebastian's well-meaning but meddling relatives, who pushed them into a fake relationship supposedly for the sake of Sebastian's grandfather. Holley and Sebastian each began to suspect that there might be legitimate feelings behind the fake relationship, but how could they tell if their feelings were real or just remnants of a high school crush?

Holley and Sebastian's snarky banter was a ton of fun and consistently made me laugh. I especially enjoyed the creative ways in which Holley threatened Sebastian with bodily harm or death, though she never really managed to come off as threatening. (Even so, if I were Sebastian, I might be a tiny bit worried given how many books Holley has read. She probably knows a lot of different ways to hide a body!) I also loved Holley's obsession with organization. I had to laugh when she told Sebastian she didn't think she could date him because his kitchen cabinets held too much "insanity."

The book's secondary characters were just as much fun as Sebastian and Holley themselves. I particularly loved the scenes featuring White Peak's senior citizens. Their continued obsession with the ducks was hysterical! Holley's friends and business partners Kinsley and Saylor were wonderful too. I am very excited to read Saylor's story next! She's so inappropriate sometimes and it always makes me laugh.

Overall, "The Bookworm's Guide to Faking It" was a very entertaining read, and I highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy. I look forward to Emma Hart's next release.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)