Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Excerpt + Review: "Like It's 1999" by Karen Grey

Congratulations to Karen Grey on today's release of "Like It's 1999," book 2.5 of the Boston Classics series. This novella works as a standalone, but for the best experience I'd recommend reading at least the first book of the series ("What I'm Looking For") in advance. The main characters of book #2 ("Forget About Me") are mentioned in passing but don't actually appear in this novella, so it's not as critical to read that story first. (I'd still recommend picking book #2 up at some point because I loved it!)

"Like It's 1999" features Alice Kim and "Hot" Steve Lowell, who were the best friends of female lead Kate Bishop in the first book of the series. I really liked both Alice and Steve when they were introduced, so I was incredibly excited to read more about them in this novella. They turned out to be a ton of fun together, and their story more than lived up to my expectations. 
 
For various reasons, neither Alice nor Steve was interested in pursuing a serious relationship, and they were especially concerned about getting involved with each other because of their mutual friendship with Kate. Neither could resist the pull of the attraction between them, however, or the fact that they had so much fun when they were together. I especially loved the way they bantered and teased each other, as well as their shared love of movie quotes.
 
Alice and Steve's story took several surprising twists and turns and included a number of unexpectedly emotional moments too. I loved that I couldn't predict what was going to happen next. Thankfully, it was a relatively short story because I didn't want to put my Kindle down until I knew how it was going to end!

Overall, I loved "Like It's 1999" and highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary(-ish) romance and romantic comedy. I can't wait to see what's next for this author and series.
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.  
 
 
About "Like It's 1999"

Love ’em and Leave ’em Alice Kim and “Hot” Steve Lowell are perfect for each other. It’ll only take them ten years to figure that out.

Just because they throw the most bodacious wedding party ever…
Just because they’re perfect partners in pranks…
Just because they love all the same boss movies…
Just because they share one totally bangin’ night of sex together…

Does not mean they’ll break the One Time Rule.
Even if they do… they don’t do relationships.
And they’re never getting married.
Like, ever.

In this friends-to-lovers, marriage-pact novella spanning the last decade of the 20th century, life forces a playboy and a playgirl to grow up—and grow apart—before giving them a chance to create a happy-ever-after they can actually be happy about. 
 
Check out an excerpt from "Like It's 1999"! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)