Friday, December 6, 2019

Excerpt + Review: "Countdown to Christmas" by Betty Shreffler

https://amzn.to/33Vuk3U
Happy release day to Betty Shreffler's "Countdown to Christmas"!  I have really been enjoying this year's crop of holiday-themed books and novellas, and this one was no exception.  It was both steamy and fun, and reading it was a great way to spend a couple of hours on a chilly evening.  Both of the lead characters were very likeable, especially Jaxson, who had kind of a "lovable scamp" vibe that I really enjoyed.  It was easy for me to understand why Sophia was so attracted to him.  Sophia was more cautious than Jaxson when it came to getting into a relationship, but he did his best to convince her that they were meant to be together.  He was surprisingly sweet when he shared his feelings with her, but his other methods of persuasion were decidedly spicy.

My only (minor) complaint about this story is that I found the character development to be a bit lacking, but that's a common issue I have with many novellas and short stories.  As I was reading this story, I found myself wondering about Sophia and Jaxson's families, for example. There was a brief explanation as to why Sophia wasn't spending Christmas with her parents, but Jaxson's parents were never mentioned at all.  Even just a sentence or two to explain his family situation would have gone a long way to helping me understand his character better and increased my enjoyment of the story.

At any rate, I did enjoy "Countdown to Christmas" and would recommend it. 

*ARC provided by the author via Candi Kane PR.  All opinions expressed are my own.

https://amzn.to/33Vuk3U

About "Countdown to Christmas"

It’s just a bet.

10 days until Christmas and all I have to do is avoid my roommate’s delightfully wrapped package.

When the countdown to Christmas is over, I’ll be collecting my own present—a generous stack of pretty green bills.

It doesn’t matter that every time he looks at me with those gorgeous hazel eyes, my knees quake.

It doesn’t matter how every time he takes his shirt off, my heart skips a beat.

Despite what my body wants, I know to keep this charming heartbreaker in the friend zone.

This should be an easy ten days, that is until my roommate shares his best kept secret.

Now the countdown to Christmas has begun and all he wants for Christmas is me.

https://amzn.to/33Vuk3U

Read an Excerpt from "Countdown to Christmas"

Leaning his head back on the cushion, he caresses my cheek and slides a strand of my hair behind my ear.

“That was one of the hottest kisses I’ve ever had. I can’t help wanting to feel that way again.” Grazing his thumb over my lips, my mouth parts as arousal surges between my legs. “How did it make you feel?”

The memory of his kiss has left its mark on my body, and right now, it’s remembering how it felt… vividly. My words stick in my throat as intense need courses through me. As I look back at him, my gaze passes between his stunning hazel eyes and the mouth that gave me overwhelming pleasure.

“It was better than I imagined.”

The side of his mouth rises.

“You’ve imagined us kissing?”

With each of his caresses through my hair, my body melts farther into his arms.

“Yes.”

“Is that all you imagined?”

“No.”

Caressing his other hand along the outside of my thigh, he grips my leg and brings me closer to his chest.

“Tell me what else you imagined about us.”

His lips are agonizingly close, so close, my lips burn with a desire desperate to be satisfied.

“I don’t think that is something I should tell you.”

As his palm kneads my outer thigh, I close my eyes, indulging in the pleasure of his caress.

“I’ll tell you what I imagined if you tell me first.”

Moving his hand to my inner thigh, his thumb applies pressure as he massages my leg.

“I’ve imagined—”

https://amzn.to/33Vuk3U

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)