Saturday, April 18, 2020

Review: Chasing Cassandra

Chasing Cassandra Chasing Cassandra by Lisa Kleypas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved "Chasing Cassandra" by Lisa Kleypas, a sweet, amusing novel featuring endearing characters, an engaging plot, and a well-paced romance. It reads as a complete standalone despite being the sixth book in the Ravenels series, and readers who have not yet picked up the earlier books will not feel lost at all by starting with this one.

I was intrigued by the male lead character, Tom Severin, when he was introduced as a secondary character earlier in this series, so it was great to finally have the chance to get to know him better here. He was a highly intelligent, completely self-made man, and the way his mind worked was fascinating to me. I especially loved Tom's creative interpretations of the novels Cassandra convinced him to read, which made me laugh out loud on several occasions. The lessons he took away from those classic tales were quite different from anything I learned in school!

I also liked the female lead, Cassandra Ravenel, when she was introduced in the earlier books, but she was often overshadowed by her more outgoing twin sister, Pandora. I got the impression that most gentlemen of the ton considered Cassandra to be not much more than a pretty flirt, but as I got to know her better, I actually found her to be quite intelligent, sweet, and caring. She brought out a softer, more emotional side of Tom, who had buried most of his emotions and concentrated on analytical pursuits for years. Even though they seemed like opposites and a relationship between them never should have worked, Tom and Cassandra ended up being very well matched.

Lisa Kleypas always crafts an entertaining story, and "Chasing Cassandra" was no exception. I highly recommend this book and can't wait to see what Ms. Kleypas publishes next.

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)