Friday, April 3, 2020

Review: The Haunting of Hattie Hastings

The Haunting of Hattie Hastings The Haunting of Hattie Hastings by Audrey Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"The Haunting of Hattie Hastings" by Audrey Davis was a quirky and unusual book, but I enjoyed it. It was sweet, funny, and low on angst despite the subject matter, and all of the characters were likeable and showed evidence of real growth over the course of the story. The writing style and tone reminded me a bit of a Sophie Kinsella novel, and I think this story is likely to appeal to readers of those books.

What I liked most about this book was that main characters Hattie and Gary had such a "real" relationship, and Hattie never tried to romanticize his faults after he was gone. Their conversations seemed just like the ones that take place every day between so many married couples, with Hattie even telling Gary to go away when he was being annoying or if she needed time alone to decompress after a long day. They may not have been a perfect couple, but their love for each other was clear in the way they behaved towards each other, even after Gary was gone.

I also enjoyed the secondary plots involving Hattie's mother, Rachel, and best friend, Cat. I found their situations to be very realistic and relatable, and it was easy for me to wish for things to work out for each of them in the end.

Overall, I would recommend "The Haunting of Hattie Hastings" and look forward to reading future books by Ms. Davis as well.

*ARC provided by the author/publisher via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)