Monday, May 11, 2020

Review: On The Rox

On The Rox On The Rox by Kat Addams
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

DNF at 57%, Kindle edition (Chapter 8)

Unfortunately, I did not care for "On the Rox" by Kat Addams and ended up abandoning it shortly after the halfway point. There were a lot of scenes and dialogue that I could tell were intended to be funny, but I wasn't laughing. It wasn't at all the type of humor that appeals to me. There were way too many crude, immature sexual references, and I lost count of how many times the male lead, Jay's, "endowment" was described along with his propensity for premature "arrival" in his pants. That really isn't something I find attractive in a potential romantic partner, and I certainly don't want to read about it. However, I guess he's well-matched with the female lead, Rox, since she peed her pants at least once (and gleefully told her best friend about it the next day). Perhaps one day soon Rox and Jay can add matching underwear to their wedding registry since it seems as if they'll both be needing some new ones!

I didn't find Jay or Rox to be particularly likeable, and there was zero relationship development between them. Jay just seemed kind of weak and boring, although I think the author's intent was for him to come across as a super sensitive "nice guy" and the complete opposite of Rox's abusive ex, Tommy. By contrast, Rox was supposed to be very wild and tough, having sworn off relationships after her breakup and only pursuing hookups with random guys. She seemed to get over her relationship issues pretty quickly after meeting Jay, however, because after they hooked up for the first time, they were rarely apart.

I was not a fan of the author's writing style, either. The dialogue in particular seemed oddly stilted to me because contractions were used only half the time (or less). At times I felt like I was listening to people who were trying really hard to speak properly and enunciate because they were drunk, or something.

Bottom line, I did not enjoy and cannot recommend this book, but it may appeal to readers who are fans of the insta-lust/love trope and/or gross-out humor. I do not plan to continue with the series or try anything else by this author.

*ARC provided by the author/publisher via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)