Thursday, May 21, 2020

Review: Say Yes to the Duke

Say Yes to the Duke Say Yes to the Duke by Eloisa James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I adored "Say Yes to the Duke" by Eloisa James. It was just as sweet and funny as all of her previous books have been, featuring endearing, well-developed characters and witty banter. Even though it is the fifth book in a series, it reads as a complete standalone, so readers new to Ms. James's work will not feel lost at all by starting here. That said, I am happy to have read the series in order because the characters have all been delightful, and I have enjoyed catching up with them through their cameo appearances in subsequent books.

I found the relationship development between the main characters of "Say Yes to the Duke," Viola and Devin, to be perfectly paced. Even though they were forced to marry relatively quickly, they spent a lot of time talking and getting to know each other both before and after the wedding. It was clear that Devin and Viola genuinely loved and accepted one another, flaws and all, and I appreciated how they constantly supported each other when challenges arose.

That support was especially important for Viola as she fought to overcome her crippling shyness. Having her stepsister Joan debut with her was undoubtedly a tremendous help, but the fact that Devin saw Viola for who she truly was and didn't care about her family connections or perceived suitability as a potential duchess was also critical. In return, Viola helped Devin learn to open up to those he loved. He seemed so arrogant at first (and he likely was arrogant, given that he was a duke!), but he seemed so much warmer as his relationship with Viola grew.

Overall, "Say Yes to the Duke" was an excellent read and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series! (I really hope Joan will be the female lead...)

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss/NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews


*Graphic courtesy of Sharlene Martin Moore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)