Monday, January 23, 2023

Review: "The Rival Romeo" by Sierra Hill

Congratulations to Sierra Hill on her latest release, "The Rival Romeo," book #3 of the Puget Sound Pilots series. Characters from the previous books make appearances in this one, but it reads as a standalone.

After his team won the league championship, professional basketball player Jaeger Matlin was named MVP and rewarded with a lucrative new contract. To set himself up for his future after basketball, he decides to use some of the money to start a business with his younger brother Jesse, who's in his last year at Stanford. They plan to open a gym catering to Seattle's wealthy fitness enthusiasts, which will hopefully be the first in a chain. The problem is that the site they've selected is zoned for residential purposes, not commercial, so before they can begin construction, they'll need approval from the city planning commission. It seems like a slam dunk until Jade Russell, owner of a competing gym, speaks up during the public hearing and points out several technical flaws with the proposal, which is ultimately denied. Determined to find another way to open his gym, Jaeger sets his sights on buying Jade's, but she's not interested in selling. Can these two rivals find a way to become partners instead - in love as well as business?
 
Jaeger and Jade were incredibly likeable, relatable protagonists and I loved them both individually and as a couple. For various reasons, neither of them was interested in a relationship when the story began, but they couldn't deny the chemistry that flared between them from the moment they met. I found it endearing that Jaeger couldn't seem to stop putting his foot in his mouth when he was around Jade; considering his reputation as a playboy, I would have figured him for a smooth talker, but with her he was anything but smooth! That said, I could tell how much owning the gym and building a successful business meant to him. He wanted to be known as more than just a jock, which is understandable.
 
Jade, meanwhile, was a total boss babe and I loved how confident and independent she was. She was justifiably proud of everything she'd built and had no intention of giving it up without a fight. At the same time, she was hiding a trauma that was sadly relatable to many of us. I really admired that she turned her experiences into something positive by giving back to the community; she taught women's self-defense classes and dreamed of someday starting her own women's shelter. Falling in love with Jaeger didn't "fix" her, but it did prompt her to get the help she needed to move forward with her life, which included a relationship after many years of avoiding them. I was rooting for her (and them) the whole way.

I highly recommend "The Rival Romeo" for all contemporary/sports romance fans. It was the first book I've read by this author, but it won't be the last.
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.
 
CW: Sexual Assault
 
 
About "The Rival Romeo"

Next up in the Puget Sound Pilots series is Jaeger and Jade's enemies-to-lovers sports romance.

My name’s Jaeger Matlin. Known to fans as Jaeger “Bomb” or “Jaeger Meister” because I knock my opponents on their…well, you know.

As last year’s rookie phenom with the Puget Sound Pilots, I took home the highest rookie payday ever. And I deserved it. It’s not often a rookie will single-handedly bring a new franchise team their first championship trophy and be named league MVP.

I’m young. I’m cocky. I’ve got women lining up to make me their Romeo.

But I know all this is fleeting. Which is why I want to invest wisely now in smart business ventures.

First up, is opening a chain of branded gyms that cater to Seattle’s elite.

The only thing that stands in my way is my rival—Jade Russell.

She’s not impressed with me, my fame, or my offer to buy her out.
 
Which only raises the stakes and makes me want it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)