Thursday, January 26, 2023

Review: "Dirty Devil" by Melissa Ivers

Congratulations to Melissa Ivers on today's release of "Dirty Devil," book #4 of the Nashville Devils series. Characters from the previous books make appearances in this one, but it reads as a standalone.
 
Professional hockey player Foster Craig wants nothing more than to stay with the Nashville Devils, but thanks to the actions of his disreputable former agent, there's a problem with his contract and his future with the team is in doubt. His new agent is negotiating an updated contract for him, but in the meantime, Foster's been on his best behavior to avoid giving team management any reason to trade him. He's even been avoiding hookups, though that hasn't stopped the puck bunnies from pursuing him. One in particular is practically stalking him, and when she approaches him at a team-sponsored charity event, he's had enough. He grabs his teammate's little sister, Avery Remington, announces that she's his girlfriend, and kisses her. Their picture goes viral, and his agent suggests that they keep the "relationship" going because potential sponsors seem to like his reformed playboy image. Convincing single mom Avery to go along with the plan won't be an easy task, however; her cheating ex was a hockey player, and she has no interest in getting involved with another one. Besides, she's looking for something long-term to give her son stability, and Foster doesn't do serious. But when he makes her an offer she can't refuse and they begin spending more time together, they find that the attraction between them is very real - and so are their feelings. Can they find a way to work through the baggage of their pasts or is Avery destined for heartbreak once again?

Foster and Avery were both incredibly likeable, relatable characters and I loved their witty banter and steamy chemistry. Foster's reasons for avoiding commitment were understandable, but being with Avery and her son Mason gradually broke down his walls and made him realize what he'd be missing without them in his life. I appreciated how supportive he was of Avery's writing career as well as how sweet he was with baby Mason. Without a doubt, he was prime book boyfriend material! It's no wonder Avery found inspiration for her stories after they started dating.

I very much enjoyed "Dirty Devil" and highly recommend it for all contemporary/sports romance fans. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series. (I hope the author will consider writing a future story about Avery's hilarious friend Holly from the bookstore too!)
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

 
About "Dirty Devil"

Pretending to be a hot hockey player’s girlfriend shouldn’t be a problem.

Except when that player is my brother’s teammate, Foster Craig, with the body of a god and a British accent that melts the panties straight off my lady bits. Did I mention that I might have a teeny crush on him?

But after a picture of an accidental kiss goes viral, he makes an offer I’d be hard pressed to refuse. A few dates in exchange for a lot of money. It seems harmless enough. And besides, I have a dead car, a baby to take care of, and a romance novel to write.

I just have to remember--No. More. Hockey. Players. Especially one who scores more off the ice than on.

Even if he comes to my rescue after my car breaks down. Or attempts to make me a cake for my birthday. Or dances with my two month old son when he thinks I’m not watching. I'm trying to resist him, but when he offers to help me test out "positions" for the novel I'm writing, things get a little… complicated. (And I’m not just talking about the Reverse Wheel Barrow with a Corkscrew Twist.)

And I find myself breaking my rules one by one.

If I take my heart out of the penalty box, am I going to end up being checked by yet another player?

Dirty Devil is a laugh out loud, steamy, fake relationship, single mom, reformed playboy sports romance featuring a British hockey player with a fancy peen and his teammates little sister with an addition to spicy books. This book is a full-length standalone with no cheating, cliffhangers, and a guaranteed happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)