Monday, June 8, 2020

Review: Royal Bastard

Royal Bastard Royal Bastard by Avery Flynn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Avery Flynn has done it again! I adored "Royal Bastard," the funny, sweet, heartwarming story of an American man suddenly and unexpectedly forced to learn how to act as a proper English earl. His tutor in this endeavor was not always quite as prim and proper as she tried to make herself out to be, and sparks flew between the two of them from their very first meeting. The slow burn of main characters Nick and Brooke's relationship development kept me on the edge of my seat, just waiting for them to finally give into their attraction. In addition, their snarky banter was a lot of fun and made me laugh out loud numerous times as I read.

Both Nick and Brooke were very complex, likeable characters, and it was easy for me to root for them both individually and as a couple. I especially loved that Brooke could never prevent the snarky remarks from bursting out of her when she was around Nick, no matter how hard she tried. As for Nick, I was fascinated by the way his mind worked and how he was always coming up with new ideas and ways to make things better. I really admired the fact that he was able to become so successful in spite of the difficulties he faced after losing his mother. Nick and Brooke made a lovely couple, and despite their different backgrounds it was clear that they belonged together.

The secondary characters in this story were a tremendous amount of fun too, especially Brooke's little sister and her father. I couldn't help but be amused by her father's obsession with his racing pigeons, as well as the fact that he named all but one them after "Harry Potter" characters. I also loved that the village of Bowhaven came together time and time again to look after and care for their own. They were certainly there for Brooke when she needed them, and I can understand why she wanted so badly to give back with her plans for modernization. It was wonderful when her fellow villagers finally recognized and rewarded her good intentions.

Overall, "Royal Bastard" was such a fun story, and I loved the fairy tale feel to it. I highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy, and look forward to Avery Flynn's next book!

*ARC provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)