Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Review: Insanely Hot, Then Not

Insanely Hot, Then Not Insanely Hot, Then Not by Daniella Brodsky
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wanted to like Daniella Brodsky's "Insanely Hot, Then Not" more than I actually did. It wasn't a terrible book, but the insta-love between main characters Lachlan and Scarlett was a little too over-the-top for me. They were both likeable characters, but there was virtually no relationship development between them; they shared heated glances across a crowded train car for the better part of a year, then pined for each other because Lachlan had to take a trip to Australia so they didn't see each other for a month. They finally spoke for the first time on the day Lachlan returned, went on their first date that same night, and somehow were "in love" by the time they went on their second date a couple days later.

Lachlan's relationship with Scarlett's young daughter, Zooey, was cute, although that also developed at lightning speed. I had to laugh at his efforts to teach her to call Scarlett "Mum" instead of "Mommy." However, I did not appreciate that Scarlett lied to Lachlan and kept Zooey a secret for so long. She kept piling lies on top of lies and I knew that things were going to go badly wrong between them because of it, and there was no good reason for all the secrecy. Lachlan was keeping secrets of his own, which bothered me for different reasons. Bottom line, the two of them were not very open with each other for most of the book, and it really made me doubt their feelings for each other.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can recommend this book, but I would give Daniella Brodsky another chance in the future.

*Review copy provided by the author via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)