Sunday, September 27, 2020

Review: "Love at First Light" by Jennifer Bernard

Love at First Light Love at First Light by Jennifer Bernard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jennifer Bernard's "Love at First Light" was a fun, fast-paced read featuring likeable, well-developed characters and a compelling plot. While it is the sixth book of the Lost Harbor, Alaska series and also relates to Bernard's earlier Rockwell series, it reads as a total standalone. That said, I have loved the entire Lost Harbor series and highly recommend the earlier books in addition to this one.

I really liked the magical, almost supernatural feel of the story in the beginning as it explored male lead character Ethan's numerous near-death experiences. I also enjoyed the book's mystery/suspense elements as Ethan and the female lead, Jessica, investigated the origins of S.G., a mysterious young girl who came to live in Lost Harbor earlier in the series. The slow burn romance between Ethan and Jess was well-crafted, and I loved their witty banter. They both had emotional baggage to overcome before they could pursue a relationship, but I found Jessica's to be particularly relatable. I sympathized with the difficulty she faced in making big decisions as well as the reasons behind it, and when she finally stood up to her mother and stepfather near the end of the book, I wanted to cheer.

As in the previous books of the series, the secondary characters in this story were incredibly likeable and added a lot of depth to the narrative. I was especially excited to catch up with Police Chief Maya Badger, and I am thrilled that her story is coming up next! It feels like I've been waiting forever for her to get a story of her own.

Overall, I very much enjoyed "Love at First Light" and can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series!

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)