Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Review: High Stakes

High Stakes High Stakes by Robin Martin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed "High Stakes" by Robin Martin, a funny and charming tale which reminded me of Sally Thorne's "The Hating Game." In this very short enemies-to-lovers romance, workplace rivals Pete and Kate were suddenly forced to work together in order to demonstrate their qualifications for the same promotion. The banter between them as they completed their project was quite amusing, and I especially liked when they begrudgingly recognized each other's strengths while still pretending to hate each other. There was very little in the way of character development because the story was so short, but it still managed to convey a good message about the importance of work-life balance.

I wasn't really a fan of the way the story ended because it didn't seem to leave much room for Pete and Kate's eventual HEA, but I suppose it worked as a HFN. In any event, I would recommend this novella for all romantic comedy fans looking for a cute story that can be enjoyed when you only have a short amount of free time. (I read this novella in under an hour.)

*Review copy provided by the author via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)