Saturday, July 16, 2022

Review: "The Bluff" by Emma St. Clair

Congratulations to Emma St. Clair on the release of her latest novel, "The Bluff," book #2 of the Graham Brothers series. Characters from the previous book of the series make appearances in this one, but it reads as a standalone. 

After purchasing the small town of Sheet Cake, Texas, retired football player Tank Graham persuades his eldest son James to convert an old warehouse into a craft brewery and tasting room as part of the town's revitalization effort. It's a big job but James is reluctant to accept help, though he eventually agrees to hire his new sister-in-law Lindy's friend Winchester "Winnie" Boyd on a temporary basis. Given her talent for web design and previous experience as the mayor of Sheet Cake's secretary, Winnie should be the ideal person to help James launch his new business. Instead, she pushes every single one of his buttons and drives him absolutely crazy. Even so, James can't seem to stop thinking about kissing Winnie. Will he give into the temptation or succeed in pushing her away for good?

I'm a big fan of grumpy-sunshine romances, and "The Bluff" was a great one! Winnie and James were incredibly likeable, sympathetic protagonists who had a lot more in common than either of them realized at first, especially when it came to their fears about relationships and losing the people they loved. I adored their smoking chemistry and witty banter, as well as the way Winnie began to push James outside of his comfort zone from the moment they met. The book's secondary characters were also delightful, especially Lindy's 5-year-old niece Jo. She fits right in with the Graham family and I hope to see more of her in future stories.

I highly recommend "The Bluff" for all sweet contemporary romance and romantic comedy fans. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series, which will feature Winnie's brother Chevy and best friend Val.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own. 
 
 
About "The Bluff"

I won't be winning any employee of the year awards. But only because my boss is the grumpy boss to end all grumpy bosses. Did I mention he doesn't trust me to do my job?

Challenge accepted.

Not only am I going to help James launch a successful brewery, but I'm going to find out what makes him tick ... and what makes him go boom.

All this has nothing to do with the fact that the man is unbearably, unfairly, unignorably (is that a word?) attractive. Or that he lost his mom when he was young, same as me.

The more he pushes me away, the more I'm pulled into his orbit. It's a battle of stubborn wills, and I don't plan to concede anytime soon.

Except the more time I spend around James Graham, the more I start to lose the one thing I refuse to give to any man ... my heart.

The Bluff is an enemies to lovers, grumpy boss rom-com set in the fictional small town of Sheet Cake Texas. You'll find plenty of laughs and sizzling chemistry in this closed door romantic comedy. It's the second in a series, but can be read as a standalone. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)