Monday, July 25, 2022

Review: "The Wedding Cake" by Isabella May

The Wedding Cake

The Wedding Cake by Isabella May
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I picked up "The Wedding Cake" by Isabella May mainly because of its setting in Marbella, Spain; I spent a semester studying abroad in the nearby city of Malaga and had the chance to visit Marbella several times while I was there. I'm so glad the setting caught my attention because I absolutely loved this book! I highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy.

The story structure is rather unique for a romance in that there are three narrators rather than the standard one or two. At the beginning, the stories are told in parallel with just a few intersections, but as the story progresses, they are woven together thanks to the involvement of Freya Ashcroft and her wedding cake bakery ("cakery"), Freya's of Marbella. I really liked this method of storytelling as well as the three main characters/narrators, Freya, Alice (engaged to River), and Tim (engaged to Piper). A wedding is supposed to be a joyous occasion, but the planning leading up to it can be stressful, and that was depicted very well in this story. There was trouble in paradise for both couples, and I had to wonder if either of them would make it to the big day.

Light, fun, and as delicious as the confection it's named after, "The Wedding Cake" was a superb summertime read. It has inspired me to finally plan my long-awaited return trip to the Costa del Sol... right after I find myself a cupcake. ;-)

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)