Thursday, March 24, 2022

Review: "Broody Devil" by Melissa Ivers

Congratulations to Melissa Ivers on the release of her latest novel, "Broody Devil," book #3 of the Nashville Devils series. Characters from the previous books make appearances in this one, but it reads as a complete standalone.

Professional hockey player Rhett Remington was happily living and playing in Los Angeles until a fight with a teammate got him blacklisted from the organization and almost every other team in the league. The Nashville Devils took a chance and traded for him, but he's made no secret of the fact that he's not happy to be there. He refuses to follow the rules and can't seem to stop generating bad press wherever he goes. His latest act of rebellion finds him hanging out in a Las Vegas strip club, where team PR liaison Lucy Hurst tracks him down. Rhett challenges Lucy to have a drink with him, and it's the last thing either of them remembers until the next morning, when they wake up in bed together wearing wedding rings. News of their nuptials is already going viral, so Lucy convinces Rhett that they should stay married until the end of the hockey season to save both of their careers. Forced to move in together and fake a happy marriage, will these two opposites end up killing each other before the season is over...or kissing each other instead?

The chemistry between Rhett and Lucy was absolute FIRE from the very first chapter, though it took quite a while for either of them to admit that they found the other attractive. I particularly enjoyed the way they teased each other with their clothing (or lack thereof) when they were at home alone. It really intensified the slow burn tension and had me on the edge of my seat waiting for them to finally act on their feelings. Given Rhett's early behavior, I didn't expect to like him as much as I did, but there were many layers to his character. Every time I thought I understood him, something new would be revealed, and I couldn't help but empathize with everything he went through. He and Lucy both deserved to find some happiness, and it was easy for me to cheer them on to their HEA.

Overall, I loved "Broody Devil" and highly recommend it for all contemporary/sports romance fans. (One caveat: a few of the steamy scenes went a bit beyond my personal comfort zone, but that is obviously highly subjective, and there are plenty of readers who will absolutely love that aspect of the story.) I look forward to picking up the next book in the series, hopefully featuring Rhett's sister Avery and teammate Foster.
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.   
 

About "Broody Devil"

The last thing I need is a wife. Especially if it’s the one woman who can't stand me.

I’m the bad boy of the NHL. The enforcer with a mean punch and bad attitude. The ladies don’t seem to mind and my stick is always ready to go. So, I have a few scandals. Who doesn’t?

Everything was fine until she clicked into my life with her hot pink Barbie heels. After one too many tabloid exploits, my career is in jeopardy, and she demands I clean up my act.

I can’t not say no. Even if I want to. The stakes are too great.

Turns out I’m not so good at behaving and even drag Miss Perfect into the mud when we wake up naked, hungover, and wearing matching wedding bands. But it’s one problem I can fix with an easy annulment. That is, until the press and her parents come knocking on our door.

Now, we have to pretend to like each other. Wouldn’t be too hard except I’m finding I like having her under my skin.

When this fake marriage gets checked, can I convince my wife I’m worth the risk?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)