Monday, May 15, 2023

Review: "The Crush List" by Ellie Hall

The Crush List

The Crush List by Ellie Hall
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Back in high school, Pippa Thompson had a secret crush on her twin brother Freddie's best friend, Chase Collins. The truth is that Chase returned Pippa's feelings, but not wanting to jeopardize his friendship with Freddie by pursuing his sister, he played a series of pranks on Pippa to keep her at a distance. Years later, Chase and Pippa's parents have become good friends and think it's a fabulous idea for them to get married. After an uncomfortable weekend in London attempting to avoid their parents' matchmaking, Pippa returns to her job as an etiquette coach at Blancbourg Academy d'Etiquette in Concordia, a small island nation north of England, only to find that her problems have followed her home. Her latest client is none other than professional football player Chase, who's been sent to the school with several of his teammates following a prank gone horribly wrong. Pippa's determined to keep their relationship professional, but it's not an easy task when she learns that what happened between them in high school may not have been exactly what she believed. Can Chase convince Pippa to forgive him for the way he acted back then and give him a chance to prove that their parents' idea might not be so crazy after all?

Chase and Pippa were super cute together and I enjoyed their witty banter. Pippa's "weird luck" was especially relatable for me because my clumsiness has caused me quite a few embarrassing moments, though thankfully I've never been the victim of pranks like the ones perpetrated by Freddie, Chase, and high school mean girl Marlow. I appreciated that Chase sincerely apologized for the role he played in those pranks and explained the reasons for his behavior back then, as well as the fact that he was up front with Freddie about his intent to pursue a relationship with Pippa. Further, the unexpected plot twists, mainly related to Chase's father and Marlow, kept me guessing right up until the end.

I highly recommend "The Crush List" for all sweet contemporary romance and romantic comedy fans. This has been a great series so far and I can't wait to find out what's in store for us with the next installment.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)