Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Review: "Like Cabins On Fire" by Ashley Funk

Like Cabins on Fire Like Cabins on Fire by Ashley Funk
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After losing her job and breaking up with her boyfriend, who just invited her to attend his wedding to the woman he left her for, high school math teacher and softball coach Riley Barrett has had enough. She decides to spend the summer reinventing herself and definitely not dating, heading off to stay with her very pregnant older sister Quinn in the small town of Sherman Pines, Utah. Unfortunately, her ancient Toyota breaks down a short distance outside town and she's forced to accept help from Carter Hayes, the annoyingly handsome tow truck driver/mechanic who stops to assist. To pay for the repairs, Quinn helps Riley find a part-time job managing a rental cabin for the summer. The only problem is that Riley's new employer also happens to be Carter's grandfather, which forces them to spend more time together than she'd like. When her past catches up with her and Riley must accept help from Carter once again, will it bring the two of them closer or send her running in the opposite direction?

I adored this funny, sweet, and heartwarming story, which featured endearing, relatable characters and an engaging plot. Riley didn't exactly have a good reason to dislike Carter other than the fact that the timing for their relationship wasn't right, but at least she owned that fact. In reality, he was a great guy and incredibly patient with her as she worked through her fears. Their chemistry was pitch perfect, as was the witty banter. In addition, their prank war had me laughing out loud more than once. Finally, I loved Riley's sweet, supportive relationship with her sister Quinn. I've never had a sister, but if I did, I hope she'd be just like Quinn!

I highly recommend "Like Cabins on Fire" for all fans of sweet contemporary romance and romantic comedy. It was the first book I've read by this author but won't be the last.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)