Friday, May 19, 2023

Review: "Still Life with Lobster" by Tana Jenkins

Still Life with Lobster Still Life with Lobster by Tana Jenkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For the most part, I enjoyed "Still Life with Lobster" by Tana Jenkins. I didn't realize it was part of a series until I sat down to write this review, so I'd say it works well as a standalone. Female lead Zoey St. James and her sisters were quite likeable, as was her best friend Luisa. I'd love to read a story about her in the future! I also enjoyed the unique setting in Michigan; I never knew there were inhabited islands around Detroit until I picked up this book.

That said, I wasn't the biggest fan of male lead Chase Sunders. While his behavior did improve somewhat over the course of the story, it was tough for me to shake my initial impression of him as a spoiled rich boy who thought he could get whatever he wanted by throwing his money around. I was also unclear on exactly how volunteering at the art museum was supposed to get him out of trouble at work. Based on his behavior up to that point, it seems to me that his partners were on the right track when they suggested an anger management class.

Further, it bothered me that Chase continued to believe that no one got hurt when he called in "favors" like the one he used to get Zoey's boss at the hospital reassigned. It's great that he loves his grandmother so much, but maybe she doesn't need to get every single thing she wants, especially in a case like this one where she didn't have a good reason for her request. Zoey's hospital wasn't the only one in the world; if his grandmother wanted a different doctor or a second opinion, why not just go somewhere else instead of messing with people's livelihoods?

Despite those frustrations, I'd recommend this book for all sweet contemporary romance fans. It was the first book I've read by this author but won't be the last.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)