Friday, November 6, 2020

Review: He Has Game

He Has Game He Has Game by Stephanie Queen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Just like the previous book in this series, I had mixed feelings about Stephanie Queen's "He Has Game." Main characters Vivvie and Finn were likeable enough on the surface, but there was almost no depth to them or their relationship. The insta-lust was obvious and I will say that they had good chemistry, but I found it incredibly difficult to believe that they were actually in love. They spent very little time together and went weeks without seeing or even talking/texting each other. Nothing about that screams "true love" to me, and the rushed ending didn't help in that regard.

The character development was not great, either. For example, Vivvie apparently had a heart condition while she was growing up, but it was only mentioned once and never brought up again until the end of the book when the author needed to do something to make Finn realize that he was in love with her. I would think a serious medical condition would have had a major impact on Vivvie's childhood and relationship with her family, plus it could have explained why Vivvie seemed so sheltered as an adult. Instead, Vivvie just kept insisting that she wasn't as young and innocent as she seemed because she had three brothers who played hockey and swore around her, which was ridiculous IMO.

Overall, while the story had potential, I just didn't enjoy it enough to be able to recommend it. After not enjoying two books in a row by this author, I won't be trying any more. There are so many other authors writing good sports/hockey romances these days (Helena Hunting, Avery Flynn, and Stacey Lynn, just to name a few); I'd rather spend my precious reading time on those stories.

*Review copy provided by the author via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)