Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Review: "When Sparks Fly" by Helena Hunting

When Sparks Fly

When Sparks Fly by Helena Hunting
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After a serious car accident leaves her with several broken bones and in need of round-the-clock care, Avery Spark's best friend and roommate, Declan McCormick, volunteers for the job. He's overwhelmed with guilt after backing out on his promise to accompany Avery on a road trip the morning of her accident and hopes that caring for her will help convince her to forgive him. As they're forced into closer proximity than ever before and Declan helps Avery cope with increasingly personal needs, the chemistry between them becomes impossible to ignore. Neither of them is willing to risk their friendship, especially Declan, who has sworn off serious relationships after witnessing the fallout from his parents' disastrous marriage and subsequent divorce. Declan and Avery may just find that their love is worth the risk, but first, they'll need to work through the baggage of their past.

This book genuinely gave me all the feels. I went from laughing at the hilarious opening scene involving grown men lining up to joust with hobbyhorses to sitting at the edge of my seat while reading the scene of Avery's accident and praying that she would be okay. When she came home from the hospital, I truly empathized with Avery's frustration at being unable to handle even simple tasks on her own, as well as with Declan's feelings of guilt regarding Avery's injuries. Their relationship growth was perfectly paced, and even though I hated to see things between them blow up the way they did, it was probably realistic. I was happy that they used their time apart to work through their issues in a healthy way and they ended up in a great place, both individually and as a couple.

Overall, I loved "When Sparks Fly" and highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy. I look forward to whatever Helena Hunting writes next.

*Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)