Sunday, October 27, 2019

Review: Angel in a Devil's Arms

Angel in a Devil's Arms Angel in a Devil's Arms by Julie Anne Long
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I adored the first book in Julie Anne Long's Palace of Rogues series, but somehow the second book, "Angel in a Devil's Arms," managed to be even better. It was humorous and charming with endearing, well-developed characters, and I didn't want to put it down.

Lucien, Lord Bolt, is one of my new all-time favorite historical romance heroes. He's very witty and intelligent, and his banter with Angelique was quite amusing. Given the circumstances of his youth, I expected Lucien to be something of a dark and brooding hero, but instead, he had a fantastic sense of humor and almost seemed cheerful a lot of the time. I particularly loved that Lucien was so open about his plan to seek revenge upon his return to England after nearly a decade away. Even though his attitude sometimes made it seem like the idea of revenge was a joke to him, he was quite determined, and had clearly spent a lot of time putting his plans into motion. Despite that, he did not hesitate to give up his revenge when he realized how it might affect his young half-brother and his burgeoning relationship with Angelique. His character grew tremendously over the course of this book, and it was nice to see him finally find the love he deserved.

I loved Angelique too, especially after having gotten to know her a bit in the first book of this series. Lucien seemed like a perfect match for her, and it was wonderful to watch their relationship slowly blossom. Their chemistry was off the charts from the beginning, but it took a while for trust and a deeper emotional connection to develop. Given Lucien's reputation and Angelique's past bad experiences with men, it was easy for me to understand why she wanted to take their relationship slowly. I was so happy when she finally let her guard down, and I cried right along with her when it seemed as if the relationship was over. (Fortunately, this being a romance novel complete with HEA, love found a way!)

Overall, "Angel in a Devil's Arms" was a wonderful book and certainly one of my favorites of 2019. I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)