Saturday, October 5, 2019

Review: No Judgments

No Judgments No Judgments by Meg Cabot
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"No Judgments" by Meg Cabot was just as cute, sweet, and funny as all of the author's previous books. I very much enjoyed the setting in the Florida Keys, which Cabot does a wonderful job of bringing to life in this novel. One of my favorite vacations ever was in the Keys, and I loved feeling like I was back there once again thanks to this story.

That said, I didn't feel like I got to know Drew, the story's male lead character, very well at all. What I did learn about him didn't always come across as likeable to me. Drew seemed like a very stubborn man who insisted on always having things his own way. He didn't leave a lot of room for compromise or seem to take his loved ones' feelings into account very often. A good example is the fact that he refused to stay with his aunt and uncle during the hurricane, even though it would have been a simple thing to do to allay his aunt's concerns. Further, Drew didn't seem like the type who would ever want to leave the island, so it didn't make sense to me why he would ever have chosen to live in New York City. Finally, Drew seemed to drink a lot. Maybe I was reading too much into the fact that he so often seemed to have a beer in his hand, and it was just part of the "island lifestyle," but it seems like it could become a problem for him at some point.

As for Bree, the female main character, she seemed like a likeable if somewhat lost soul who kind of fell into living on Little Bridge Island. However, I'm not really sure what attracted her to Drew other than that he was handsome and kind to animals. I was happy that Bree seemed to find herself by the end of the book, but her journey didn't seem to have much to do with Drew despite the focus on their relationship.

Overall, I would have rated this book 3.5 stars if half stars were possible, but in the end I decided to round down because I was not a big fan of Drew as a love interest for Bree. I would still read the next book in the series, however.

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)