Saturday, October 26, 2019

Review: Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life

Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life by Ali Wong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed Ali Wong's "Dear Girls." Ali's voice comes through very clearly in her writing; I can picture her on stage saying some of these things in her act. Fair warning, however, that this book is not for the faint of heart or anyone who is easily offended by foul language or "dirty"/"taboo" subjects. Ali talks a lot about sex, bodily functions/fluids, and other things that some readers might find objectionable. That said, there were some very funny, and at times outrageous, stories included here, but also some pretty good advice along with a loving message for her daughters.

My favorite chapter was the one on Ali's study abroad experiences. While my own year abroad in college wasn't quite as colorful or adventurous as Ali's, I totally agree with her that study abroad is something that all young adults should experience if they have the opportunity. I also enjoyed the afterword by Ali's husband, which was very sweet and a nice way to wrap up the book.

Overall,"Dear Girls" was an enjoyable and well-written debut that made me laugh out loud quite a few times. I would definitely read more books by Ali Wong in the future.

*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)