Sunday, October 13, 2019

Review: The Mistletoe Matchmaker: A Novel

The Mistletoe Matchmaker: A Novel The Mistletoe Matchmaker: A Novel by Felicity Hayes-McCoy
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There was a definite Maeve Binchy feel to Felicity Hayes-McCoy's "The Mistletoe Matchmaker," but unfortunately, I did not find this book to be as enjoyable or engaging as one of Ms. Binchy's. The characters were not as likeable as Binchy's, there were too many of them for me to keep track of, and the story was rather slow-paced. Overall, I found the book to be pretty boring.

Further, given the book's title, I was expecting there to be a stronger holiday/Christmas theme but it was barely even mentioned for a good chunk of the book, except in the context of how long Cassie, one of the primary characters, planned to stay in Ireland ("until after Christmas"). When the subject of the holidays finally did come up, the main focus was on preparations for the town's Christmas festival, not on the actual holiday.

On the bright side, this book is a total standalone. I had no idea that it is actually part of a series until I was almost finished reading it. That said, based on my feelings about this book, I don't think I would continue with the series. I doubt I fall within the intended demographic for this book, but I could see my grandmother enjoying it. It wasn't badly written, just slower paced than the books I usually enjoy.

*ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)