Monday, December 13, 2021

Review: "Delay of Game" by Evie Graham

Delay of Game

Delay of Game by Evie Graham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After losing out on a contract to sell her farm's Christmas trees to a major client in Boston, Lorelei Cole stops into a local bar to drown her sorrows. Shortly after she arrives, professional hockey player Patrick O'Reilly comes into the same bar for a drink following a tough loss. What begins as casual flirting ends in a one-night stand, but Lorelei sneaks out the next morning to return home to Maine. Eight months later, a newly retired Patrick decides to spend Thanksgiving with his best friend and former teammate in Maine. He stops for gas along the way and encounters a very pregnant Lorelei in the tiny rural service station. Recognizing her at once, as well as the fact that their night together had unexpected consequences, he follows her home, determined to be the father to his child that he never had.

This story was so sweet! I loved that Patrick took one look at Lorelei's pregnant belly and immediately became super protective of both her and their baby. I also appreciated that he didn't accuse her of trying to hide her pregnancy from him or question whether the baby was his, even though that was probably the exact opposite of what his agent and former team would have advised. Patrick really just wanted to be there for Lorelei and help out in any way he could, even if that meant dealing with her flock of stubborn geese. His constant struggle with the geese for dominance was so funny! I really enjoyed Patrick and Lorelei's banter too, as well as the way he and his friends joked around and teased each other. Finally, I loved the story's epilogue, which had me crying happy tears.

Overall, I adored "Delay of Game" and highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy. It was the first story I've ever read by Evie Graham, but it won't be the last.

*Review copy provided by the author/publisher via Give Me Books Promotions. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)