Sunday, December 12, 2021

Review: "Merry Christ-Mess" by Dee Ellis

Merry Christ-Mess: Friends to Lover Romance

Merry Christ-Mess: Friends to Lover Romance by Dee Ellis
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

DNF at 37% (beginning of Chapter 5).

I'm sure there are plenty of readers who will connect with and enjoy this story, but I wasn't one of them. The relatively lighthearted blurb led me to believe that it would be something akin to a rom-com, but instead, it was super angsty, and for no apparent reason. There was absolutely nothing keeping main characters Mila and Micah apart besides their own stubbornness. In fact, I would argue that they were already in a relationship based on their behavior towards each other. They lived together and actively prevented each other from bringing dates home (and sometimes from going on the date in the first place), they were very handsy, and their nickname for each other was "Sweet Face." IMO, those are not the actions of an average pair of friends!

However, what really tipped me over the edge and forced me to DNF this novella was their "double date" and its aftermath. I hated that Mila and Micah were playing games with each other from the beginning, but once they started dragging other people into those games, it just made them seem cruel. To me, it seemed as if they were trying to hurt each other, not as if they loved each other. When they got back to their cabin after the date and Micah decided that he was going to seduce Mila, he kept going on about how he was going to "wreck" and/or "ruin" their friendship that night, which was incredibly irritating. Judging by his behavior, you'd think they were about to do something illegal! Further, I fundamentally disagree with the idea that romantic partners can't also be friends.

Bottom line, this story just wasn't my cup of tea. Readers who enjoy lots of angst and steam may have better luck with it, however.

*Review copy provided by the author/publisher via Give Me Books Promotions. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)