Saturday, December 11, 2021

Review: "Under the Thistle-toe" by Mindy McKinley

Under the Thistle-toe

Under the Thistle-toe by Mindy McKinley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mia Tate was drawn to handsome Scottish bagpiper Finn MacGowan from the moment he arrived at the bed & breakfast she ran with her Aunt Nona, but after the beating her self-esteem took when her ex-fiance dumped her shortly before their Christmas-themed wedding, she couldn't believe that he'd be attracted to someone like her. Finn was only visiting the Scottish-themed town of Aberdeen, Illinois for a few days to perform in the local holiday parade and help out with the pipe band started by Aberdeen's high school, so she was sure that nothing could possibly come of their relationship anyway. After years of touring with his pipe band, Aon Deug, Finn was tired of the constant grind, though he didn't know what he'd do with his life if he gave up touring. The more time he spent with Mia, the more Finn realized that he was ready to put down roots and build a life with her in Aberdeen, but could he convince Mia to take a chance on love again?

"Under the Thistle-toe" was a funny, sweet story with the perfect amount of heat to it. I've never read anything by Mindy McKinley before (though I've wanted to for a while because her posts on Instagram always amuse me) and really enjoyed her sense of humor. I'm still not a fan of the insta-love trope, which was definitely in evidence here, but I will admit that Mia and Finn were cute together and had a strong, genuine connection. It was very easy for me to cheer them on to their HEA.

I very much enjoyed this story and recommend it for all fans of contemporary/holiday romance and romantic comedy. I will definitely be picking up more of Mindy McKinley's books in the future.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)