Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Review: "Bad Romance" by Elise Faber

Bad Romance

Bad Romance by Elise Faber
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

CW: Rape/Sexual Assault

"Bad Romance" by Elise Faber wasn't easy to read at times, but IMO it was well-written and true to life, and I appreciated the emotional journey. When the story began, main character Melody Mercer was in a bad place as she struggled to put the trauma of her sexual assault behind her, but by the end, I was crying tears of joy right along with her. Mel was so much stronger than she realized, though I hated that she had to be. No person should ever have to go through what she did.

Mel's friend turned love interest, Asher Hutchins, was a wonderful source of support for her as she healed. He was protective without being overbearing, and I loved that he always let her take the lead in how to move forward in their relationship. I also appreciated his perspective on how trauma impacts those around the victim. Ash blamed himself for Mel's attack even though it wasn't his fault, and it took time for him to work through those feelings just as it took time for Mel to work through hers.

IMO this was a powerful read and I'd highly recommend it, but the subject matter was not always easy or comfortable. Please be kind to yourself and proceed with caution if necessary.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)