Monday, March 13, 2023

Review: "Never More Than Enemies" by Veronica Adler

Never More Than Enemies

Never More Than Enemies by Veronica Adler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Never More Than Enemies" by Veronica Adler, book #3 of the Golden Girls series, was an enjoyable enemies-to-lovers romance between fellow actors Madelaine "Maddie" Guillaume and Gabriel Sutton, her best friend Jack's older brother. They're brought together when Maddie returns to London after several years living in San Diego to star in a play directed by a friend of her mother's. When she arrives, she's dismayed to learn that Gabriel has taken over as director and will also be playing her character's husband. Maddie's not exactly an ideal co-star for Gabriel, either; he thinks her bad influence nearly got his brother killed four years ago, and he's concerned that she'll once again lead Jack astray now that they've reunited in London. With neither Gabriel nor Maddie willing to walk away from the show, they'll have to find a way to work together, but they'll be lucky to make it to opening night without fireworks.

Maddie and Gabriel had a ton of chemistry and it was a lot of fun waiting for it to finally explode. Their banter was consistently amusing, and while they were both likeable characters, I must admit that Gabriel frustrated me at times because of his inability to see that Maddie had grown and changed in the years she was away in California. She wasn't the party girl she once was, and his refusal to forgive her for what had happened in the past really wasn't fair (not to mention ironic considering that he wanted her immediate forgiveness for some of the mistakes he made with her). That said, they were super cute together once they finally stopped hating each other, and I really liked that he was so willing to take things at her pace. She hadn't dated in a long time, so her need to move slowly made perfect sense to me.

I'd recommend "Never More Than Enemies" for all contemporary romance and romantic comedy fans. It was the first book I've read by this author but won't be the last.

*Review copy provided by the author via KatieandBreyPA. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)