Saturday, March 4, 2023

Review: "I'm Only Wicked With You" by Julie Anne Long

I'm Only Wicked With You I'm Only Wicked With You by Julie Anne Long
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I very much enjoyed Julie Anne Long's "I'm Only Wicked with You," book #3 of the Palace of Rogues series. Even though she hoped for marriage and family like most other young women of her class, Lady Lillias Vaughn seemed like a different type of Regency heroine to me. She cultivated an interest in fashion without coming across as vain or silly, was obviously intelligent though not a bluestocking, and had a keen sense of adventure. The last quality became more apparent after Lillias and her family came to stay at The Grand Palace on the Thames. Secretly heartbroken after learning of a family friend's impending engagement to someone else, Lillias's behavior had become erratic, worrying her parents. They believed that the solution was to marry her off, though American Hugh Cassidy would not have been their first choice of son-in-law. Sparks flew between Lillias and Hugh from the moment they met, and even though they came from different worlds, they somehow understood each other on a level no one else could.

While it was a bit slow to get going, the story really picked up in the second half, and I had a tough time putting it down. I loved Lillias and Hugh's witty banter, particularly the subtext inherent in their drawing room conversations. Their discussion of Greek mythology was so funny! The book's secondary characters were also a delight, especially Dot the maid and Hugh's friend and fellow guest Mr. Delacorte. I think I'd enjoy playing a game of chess with him. :-)

I'd recommend this book for all historical romance fans and look forward to the next one in the series.

*Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)