Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Review: "Home in the Country" by Alexandra Hale

Home in the Country

Home in the Country by Alexandra Hale
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Otto Thayer had a crush on Fallon Jones throughout high school, so when they finally hooked up during his freshman year of college, he thought all his dreams were coming true. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be; she broke his heart when she ghosted him afterwards, and he's been a player ever since - or at least pretending to be. Years later, a recently divorced Fallon has decided to move back to their hometown of Clementine Creek with her 5-year-old son, Briggs. It doesn't take long for her to reconnect with her old friends Marlee and Cheyenne, who convince her to go out with them one night. She runs into Otto and impulsively invites him to spend the night together; against his better judgment, he agrees. Even though he swears it will only happen one time, it quickly turns into a not-quite-friends with benefits arrangement. The problem is that Otto has never really gotten over Fallon, and he fears that he's destined to get hurt - especially after he meets her adorable son. With everything that's already on her plate, Fallon is sure that she can't handle a serious relationship, but maybe there's a way for Otto to show her that he can help carry her burdens, not add to them.

I'm not sure I have the words to express how happy this story made me. Otto is one of the best book boyfriends I've come across in quite some time, and the way he cared for Fallon and Briggs made me melt over and over again. I loved that he was so good at anticipating Fallon's needs and was ready when she finally admitted that she was overwhelmed. He was so sweet and thoughtful, and I appreciated that he wasn't shy about telling her what he wanted from the relationship. It would have been easy for him to just jump back into bed with her, but instead he asked for what he wanted and waited until she was ready.

Otto's relationship with Fallon's son Briggs was also super cute. I especially appreciated Otto's efforts to be a part of Briggs's life without overstepping or trying to replace his father, Tanner, who was actually a great guy. The bromance that developed between Otto and Tanner was fantastic for many reasons, not least of which was that it seemed like Tanner really needed a friend. I'd love for him to get a story of his own in the future (and not just because I want more of Tanner and Otto's hilarious antics).

I highly recommend "Home in the Country" for all contemporary romance fans and can't wait for the next book in the series.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)