Thursday, May 19, 2022

Review: "Back in the Country" by Alexandra Hale

Congratulations to Alexandra Hale on the publication of her debut novel, "Back in the Country," book #1 of the Clementine Creek series. 
 
Marlee Mackay had a special connection with her older brother Sorren's best friend, Waylon Thayer, from the moment they met, but their seven year age difference meant that she was always too young for it to turn into anything romantic. That didn't stop her from wishing things were different, however, so when she finally gets a chance to be with him at age 21, nothing will stand in her way. Unfortunately, Waylon pushed Marlee away afterwards because he was afraid of losing his best friend, and besides, he believed that she deserved more than what he and their small town of Clementine Creek had to offer. Heartbroken, Marlee returned to Nashville to finish college and then find a job, but three years later, everything has changed. Tired of doing what everyone else thinks is best for her instead of what makes her happy, Marlee is taking control and coming home to claim the life that she wants, including Waylon. 

I really enjoyed this sweet yet steamy story, which featured likeable, three-dimensional characters and a heartfelt second chance romance. Marlee and Waylon had so much history and obviously loved each other very much, but they faced quite a few challenges in pursuing a relationship. I really liked how Marlee's brother Sorren's story and his reaction to their relationship was interwoven with the romance since it was one of the key points of conflict between Marlee and Waylon. I hope Sorren will get a story of his own in the future; after everything he's been through, he deserves a happy ending too!
 
The book's other secondary characters added a tremendous amount of depth and humor to the story. I particularly enjoyed Waylon's younger twin brothers Otto and Case, who were really funny together. I also liked his oldest brother Hank, who was kind of grumpy but certainly had a good reason for it. I can't wait to find out more about his backstory! 

Overall, "Back in the Country" is a strong debut for Alexandra Hale and I recommend it for all contemporary/small town romance fans. I will be watching to see what Hale writes next.
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own. 
 
 
About "Back in the Country"

“We’ve been hot and heavy, but this kiss is filled with a carnal need that is consuming every ounce of my being.”

Marlee Mackey thinks I didn’t want her but I could never forget the taste of her on my lips.


She was the girl next door.
A wild spirit with a heart of gold and a body made for sin.

And sin we did.

I was consumed by her.
For one night she was mine, then I had to let her go.

Now she’s back, and I’ll do anything to make her mine again.

Waylon Thayer wasn’t just my older brother’s best friend – he was my everything.

Until he wasn’t.
I knew the rules but he still broke my heart without a backward glance.

That was three years ago.

Being back home stirs up all those unrequited feelings I tried to put behind me.
Waylon may still have a smile that makes my knees weak but I’m different now.

I’m putting me first.

That was my plan but one kiss, one night in his arms ignites a fire inside me I can’t deny.

I can’t say no to Waylon Thayer but I’ll have to if he won't ask me to stay.

Back in the Country is a full length novel and the first book in the Clementine Creek Series. It's a steamy contemporary romance with lots of heart and a happily ever after. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)