Friday, May 20, 2022

Review: "Complex" by Kortney Keisel

Congratulations to author Kortney Keisel on the release of her latest novel, "Complex," book #2 of the Sweet Rom "Com" series. Characters from the previous book of the series make cameo appearances in this one, but it reads as a standalone.
 
Tessa Johnson has a big problem. She's just learned that her boss and mentor went significantly over budget in designing the newest WhiteSands Hotel and Resort, which is nearly complete. In need of some extra time to "figure out the accounting" so that the owner of the company doesn't fire them both, her boss asks Tessa to travel to Turks and Caicos to try and delay the hotel's grand opening. If she's successful, not only will Tessa save both of their jobs, she may just earn a promotion in the process. Unfortunately, it's not an easy task when dealing with general contractor Luke McKenna, who's heading up the project and determined to finish on schedule. Sparks fly between grumpy Luke and sunshine Tessa from the moment they meet, but Tessa can't let herself be distracted from the purpose of her trip. Easier said than done...
 
This book gave me all the feels and is definitely among my favorites so far this year! Tessa and Luke were incredibly likeable, relatable characters with tons of chemistry and witty banter. They lived up to the book's title in that there was a lot more to each of them than was initially apparent. At first, Luke came across as grumpy and inflexible, but the truth was that he just had high expectations for himself and those around him. He was a hard worker with a heart of gold who enjoyed helping others in his spare time. As for Tessa, I completely understood her focus on her career after learning as a teenager that she wouldn't be able to have kids. She was also very concerned with her appearance, but I understood that too; it was a kind of armor so that no one would see how much she was sometimes hurting on the inside. I really loved and empathized with her character arc as she realized that it was OK not to be perfect and to acknowledge when she was struggling.

I also loved how genuinely funny this book was. The activities Tessa used to distract and delay the construction workers were hysterical! My favorite was spa day; I was cracking up as I imagined a bunch of big, tough construction workers walking around with avocado masks on their faces. I also loved the Johnson family group chat, especially when Tessa's brother Matt started coming up with creative names for Luke ("G.I. Joe Poldark" - ha!).
 
I highly recommend "Complex" for all fans of the enemies-to-lovers trope, grumpy/sunshine, workplace romance, and forced proximity (with a caveat for those who may have sensitivities around infertility). I can't wait for the next book in the series!
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own. 

 
About "Complex"

Tiny Little Lie #1: I want the new resort in Turks and Caicos to open on schedule.

Tiny Little Lie #2: I'm not falling for Luke McKenna.


Unfortunately, those tiny little lies snowballed into something bigger. Much bigger. Now I'm stuck.

It sounds bad. But I'm not a bad person. I'm doing the right thing...I think. I'm telling myself I'm a superhero in heels, saving people I care about.

But the grumpy onsite contractor isn't making things easy. The more I lie and try to stall the hotel opening, the harder he works to complete the project.

Did I mention he's handsome?

And moody?

And brooding?

And my complete opposite in every way?

If the truth about what I've done comes out, Luke will never forgive me. Then I'll have to face another truth: my attraction to him might actually be something more—something worth fighting for.

Complex is a grumpy/sunshine, and opposites attract romance with witty banter that will keep you laughing. The love story is charged with sizzling chemistry while keeping the romance closed-door.

Complex is the second book in The Sweet Rom "Com" series but can be read as a standalone. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)