Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Review: "Touching Down" by Mindy McKinley

Touching Down

Touching Down by Mindy McKinley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After a painful breakup in college, Carter Chase swore off serious relationships and decided to focus on building his family's charter jet and helicopter company, SkyChase. He's recently been promoted to CEO following his father's retirement, which is exactly what he always thought he wanted. The problem is that he's recently started to realize he's lonely, and it's increasingly obvious since both of his younger siblings have paired off. When he meets his new neighbor, book editor Callie Jones, who is moving into her grandmother's former home next door to Carter with her 8-year-old niece Sylvie, he's immediately drawn to her. Much like Carter, Callie has avoided serious relationships since a brief, disastrous marriage in her early 20s. She's used to doing everything on her own, including caring for her niece in the wake of her sister's death. Brought together by Sylvie's fondness for Chase's dog, Bo, Carter and Callie quickly become friends. Just when it seems as if their friendship could deepen into something more, Callie's guardianship of Sylvie is threatened, and she pulls away. Can Carter convince Callie that she can depend on him even when times get tough?

Ever since I started reading this series, I had a feeling that Carter would turn out to be my favorite of the Chase siblings, and that definitely turned out to be the case. Even though he came across as arrogant and aloof at first, beneath the surface he was a genuinely sweet, caring guy who wasn't always comfortable in social situations and was also afraid of having his heart broken for a second time. I really liked the easy friendship he developed with Callie, who had her own, completely valid reasons for wanting to keep things between them casual. When she pulled away from Carter near the end of the book, my heart broke for both of them, but I was glad that neither gave up hope entirely. They were meant to be a family with Sylvie and Bo, and I loved cheering them on to their HEA.

Overall, "Touching Down" was a sweet, heartwarming story with the perfect amount of steam. I highly recommend it for all contemporary romance fans and look forward to whatever Mindy McKinley writes next. (I vote for a story for Callie's friend Zoe!)

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)