Sunday, July 12, 2020

Review: Fate and Blind Dates: a Romantic Comedy

Fate and Blind Dates: a Romantic Comedy Fate and Blind Dates: a Romantic Comedy by Melissa Baldwin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Melissa Baldwin's "Fate and Blind Dates" was a cute, quirky story that felt more like chick lit with romantic elements than an actual romance to me. I think that may have been because main character Fran was caught in a love triangle between potential boyfriends Matt and Aaron for a good chunk of the book, plus the entire story was told in first person from Fran's point of view, so I didn't feel that I got to know either Matt or Aaron very well. That said, all of the characters were quite likeable, and I was satisfied that Fran ended up with the right person in the end. At the very least, he was the guy that I liked best!

Fran was definitely an interesting lead character, and while I did like her, it was a little difficult for me to relate to her at times because her world view was so different from my own. She believed very strongly in fate and allowing it to direct her life, whereas I am kind of a control freak and can't imagine just going with the flow like she did sometimes. I appreciated how much Fran cared for her family, friends, and massage clients, however, as well as the way she always tried to be up front and honest in all of her interactions.

The book's secondary characters were a lot of fun, particularly Fran's meddlesome (but well-meaning) mother and older sister, Kat, who tried to play matchmaker for Fran several times with varying degrees of success. I also enjoyed Fran's wacky client Polly as well as her younger sister Cami and best friends Cora and Ava. Cora's story was told in the first book of this series, "Love and Ohana Drama," which I haven't yet read but would pick up after reading this one.

Overall, I enjoyed "Fate and Blind Dates" and recommend it for all fans of chick lit and romantic comedy. It's the perfect summer read to enjoy at the beach or pool.

*ARC provided by the author/publisher via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)