Saturday, July 4, 2020

Review: Love Me in Paris: A Travel Romance

Love Me in Paris: A Travel Romance Love Me in Paris: A Travel Romance by D. Pichardo-Johansson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Love Me in Paris" by D. Pichardo-Johansson was a well-written book and I enjoyed it, but to be honest, it fell a bit flat for me as a romance. The relationship development between main characters Sophia and Trevor seemed like an afterthought in comparison to the story's focus on documenting their travels through France and solving the mystery of what had happened to Sophia's parents. As a result, it was somewhat difficult for me to really invest in the story until there was a big plot twist involving Sophia's parents about 2/3 of the way through the book.

My biggest problem is that I had a tough time connecting with either Sophia or Trevor, and their feelings for each other just didn't seem believable to me, especially after such a short period of time. I didn't dislike Sophia, and the author did a good job developing her character and explaining her background, but she just seemed so painfully naive and mired in the past to me for so much of the book that I couldn't really relate to her. As for Trevor, he was way too focused on getting Sophia into bed and didn't actually seem to like her at all for a long time. He even complained to his cousin about how exhausting she was. So why would he keep helping her? I certainly felt bad for Trevor after learning what had happened to him before he left New York, but even so, he didn't seem like the nicest of guys, and I thought Sophia deserved better.

I found the book to be much more successful as a travelogue and in its focus on the mystery of Sophia's parents, however, and would recommend it based on those aspects alone. I will likely pick up the next book in the series to see what happens with Sophia's friends.

*ARC provided by the author/publisher via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)