Saturday, July 4, 2020

Review: In a Pickle

In a Pickle In a Pickle by Cindy Dorminy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"In a Pickle" by Cindy Dorminy was a sweet, funny, and charming small-town, second-chance romance featuring endearing characters and an amusing plot, and I adored it. It reminded me of the movie "Sweet Home Alabama" in some ways, which has always been a favorite of mine. The main characters of the book, high school sweethearts Clint and Regina, married in college for religious and financial reasons, but their relationship quickly fell apart when baseball prodigy Clint was drafted after their junior year and chose to leave school to pursue a professional career. They never forgot about each other, however, so when Clint's pro career hits the skids and he learns that Regina is engaged to another man, he jumps at the chance to return to their hometown of Smithville, Georgia to try and win back his girl. Regina is determined to move forward with her wedding to new fiance Ken, but Clint is keeping a secret that just might change her mind.

In the early part of the book, Clint came across as something of an arrogant jerk, but I had to give him credit for the fact that he admitted he had made mistakes and was making an effort to change, however unwillingly (and even if his sole motive seemed to be money and a new contract with his team at first). As he spent more time in Smithville with his family and old friends, however, he seemed to remember the person he was before he became famous, and I saw exactly why Regina fell in love with him when they were younger. I loved watching Clint and Regina reconnect as they competed together in the Pickle Festival scavenger hunt that brought Clint back to town.

In addition to Clint and Regina, this story featured a number of amusingly quirky secondary characters that added quite a bit of humor and depth to the narrative. I particularly enjoyed the two old ladies who ran the town gossip blog as well as the woman who ran the In a Jam coffee shop. Clint and Regina's family and friends were also a lot of fun, and it seems as if at least a couple of them have been featured in previous stories. I will definitely be checking those out when I find the time!

Overall, "In a Pickle" was a really cute, fun read, and I highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance, romantic comedy, and Southern chick lit. I look forward to seeing what Cindy Dorminy writes next!

*ARC provided by the author/publisher via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)