Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Review: "My Cone and Only" by Susannah Nix

My Cone and Only My Cone and Only by Susannah Nix
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Andie Lockhart has had a crush on her older brother's best friend, Wyatt King, for years, but is convinced that he will never see her as more than a friend at best, or his adopted little sister at worst. The truth is that Wyatt has secretly been in love with Andie since he was 17, but he won't risk losing his best friend to be with her. Since his mother died, Josh and the Lockharts have been more of a family to Wyatt than most of his own flesh and blood. Besides, Wyatt doesn't think he's good enough for Andie; she's so smart that she skipped a grade, went to college, and even has a master's degree, whereas he barely graduated from high school. When the house Andie inherited from her grandmother is threatened by a series of fines levied by the local HOA, handyman Wyatt volunteers to help her make the necessary repairs to prevent her from losing her home. The more time they spend working together, the more difficult it becomes to ignore their mutual attraction, but both are determined to keep their growing relationship a secret. Can they find a way to be together without destroying Wyatt's friendship with Andie's brother?

I loved this story so much! It was laugh-out-loud funny but tugged at my heartstrings at the same time. Andie and Wyatt were endearing, relatable protagonists, and it was easy for me to root for them both individually and as a couple. I particularly empathized with Andie's frustrations regarding her brother Josh's tendency to be overprotective, though it was clear that his actions always came from a place of love. As for Wyatt, there was so much more to him than was apparent from his "life of the party" reputation, and learning about the losses he suffered in his childhood as well as his difficult relationship with his father broke my heart. I completely understood why he was so afraid of losing his adopted family, the Lockharts, though I wish he had made an effort to overcome that fear a bit sooner.

I highly recommend "My Cone and Only" for all contemporary romance and romantic comedy fans. I look forward to the next book in the series.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.


View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)