Monday, November 21, 2022

Review: "A Cup of Cheer" by Heather Miekstyn

A Cup of Cheer

A Cup of Cheer by Heather Miekstyn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Felicity Heart and Alex Beckett have been best friends since the summer before second grade, when he and his father moved into her family's neighborhood in the small town of Mistle Berry, Michigan. She's secretly been in love with him since they were 10 but is sure he sees her as only a friend. In fact, when she tried to tell him how she felt a few months ago, he told her that he wasn't looking for a relationship. Felicity responded by accepting a new job in Mississippi, hoping that the distance would help her get over her unrequited feelings. Unfortunately, when she returns home to spend the holidays with her family, she quickly finds that her feelings are as strong as ever. Alex, meanwhile, insists on acting like nothing between them has changed, even pressuring her to turn down their former classmate David's invitation to be his partner for the town's annual Mistletoe Mayhem competition. According to Alex, it would interfere with them being able to spend time together while Felicity's in town. It therefore comes as a surprise when Felicity learns that Alex has agreed to partner with Mindy, a fellow teacher at Mistle Berry High. Furious, Felicity accepts David's offer and cuts off contact with Alex, deciding that the best way to get over him once and for all is by defeating him in the competition.

I really enjoyed this funny, sweet story. Alex and Felicity were super cute together and the Mistletoe Mayhem competition was a lot of fun. The various challenges created plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, but I think my favorite one was the snowball fight instigated by David and Alex. The one thing I would have liked better about the book is if it had been narrated in dual POV. Because we only got Felicity's side of the story, I didn't feel like I got to know Alex very well. Most of his thoughts and motivations had to be explained by other people telling Felicity what they had observed, which worked to a degree, but it wasn't the same as hearing directly from him.

I recommend "A Cup of Cheer" for all fans of sweet contemporary romance and romantic comedy. I look forward to the author's next release (hopefully featuring Felicity's sister Kristen).

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)