Monday, October 19, 2020

Review: "Gearing Up" by Roseanne Beck

Gearing Up Gearing Up by Roseanne Beck
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It took me a few chapters to get into Roseanne Beck's "Gearing Up," mostly because it felt like I was starting in the middle of a story. It is the second book of Beck's Shifting into Love series and appears to pick up right where the first one ("Changing Gears") left off. I haven't yet read the first book, and there wasn't much in the way of context or backstory provided for some of the characters and events referenced in the early chapters of book #2. For this reason, it's probably best to read the series in order, though readers are unlikely to feel completely lost by starting here.

I'm glad I stuck it out through those early chapters because I really liked main characters Spence and Kylie, whose banter frequently made me chuckle. Kylie was determined to see Spence as her enemy, but I don't think he ever saw her the same way. They were very cute and funny together, and I found it easy to root for them to work through their differences.

The book's supporting characters were just as much fun as Kylie and Spence themselves. I particularly enjoyed Spence's employee Knox, who was always telling stories about his acid trips, Spence's grandfather, who tried to give him advice about women, and Kylie's Uncle Pete and Aunt Sheila, who acted as surrogate parents for Kylie and her sister.

Overall, "Gearing Up" was a cute, sweet story that I would recommend for fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy. I would read more of this author's work in the future.

*Review copy provided by the author via Hidden Gems Books. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)