Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Review: "What I'm Looking For" by Karen Grey

What I'm Looking For What I'm Looking For by Karen Grey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved Karen Grey's "What I'm Looking For," a fun, sweet story featuring endearing, relatable characters and a well-crafted opposites attract romance. Female lead Kate reminded me very much of the analysts I know through my job: book smart, a bit lacking in people and public speaking skills, but determined to do better in order to advance her career. Kate's devotion to work and a bad breakup in the past meant that she wasn't looking for a serious relationship, but when she met actor/bartender Will, sparks flew. They agreed to a casual, no-strings-attached affair, but would they really be able to avoid developing real feelings for each other?

Will and Kate were both quite interesting and three-dimensional, and there was a real sense of character growth over the course of the story. Their relationship growth was nicely paced too, especially given everything else the two of them had to deal with. They didn't fall in love overnight, but it was obvious that they were drawn to each other in spite of their differences and respective focus on their careers. I especially loved the date when they went for a bike ride and ice cream. They were so silly and acted almost like teenagers! It was nice to see Kate relax and let Will see the side of herself that she had to keep hidden at work.

In addition, I really enjoyed the story's retro vibe due to the setting in 1988. It doesn't seem like that long ago, but it's crazy how much has changed since then, particularly in terms of office behavior. Several of the men in Kate's office would be fired today for what they considered to be normal behavior back then. The use of landline phones and answering machines was a blast from the past too. (It made me realize once again how much I love texting!)

Overall, "What I'm Looking For" was an excellent read that gave me all the feels and put a smile on my face at the end. I highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary(-ish) romance and romantic comedy. I look forward to the next book in the series!

*Review copy provided by the author via Social Butterfly PR. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed going back in time with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did! And I enjoyed book #2 every bit as much as this one. (I've written a review of that book as well, but my blog had a super fun technical issue that resulted in me having to recreate a number of posts from October. Unfortunately, that was one of them. But it will be back up very soon!)

      Delete

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)