Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Review: "A Royal Farce" by Laura Heffernan

A Royal Farce

A Royal Farce by Laura Heffernan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Boston-based investment banker (and secret prince) Pierre Leon's mother wants him back in his home country of Corchenne, so she's called in favors to ensure that his work visa won't be renewed when it expires at the end of the year. Hoping to stay in the U.S. permanently, Pierre proposes a marriage of convenience to friend and neighbor Lila Sinclair so that he can get his green card. Law school dropout Lila has been struggling ever since her brother talked her into buying an investment property together and then moved to Brazil with his pregnant girlfriend, leaving Lila with the entirety of the mortgage and a hefty bill for renovations. When Pierre offers to pay for the renovations in exchange for helping him, Lila can't afford to refuse - even though she's had a crush on him since the day they met and worries that she'll come out of the arrangement with a broken heart. Everything seems to be going smoothly as their wedding day approaches until Pierre's older brother surprises them with a visit and informs Lila of her fiance's royal status. Can Lila forgive Pierre for withholding the truth from her and convince his family that she's a suitable bride for a prince?

I made the mistake of starting this book late in the evening and enjoyed it so much that I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish it in one sitting. Pierre and Lila were a cute, fun couple, whether they were bantering while watching one of the horror movies they both loved or starting a food fight while learning to make sushi. Lila managed to get herself into so many awkward (but funny) situations, and I couldn't help laughing at her antics. I also empathized with her struggles to figure out a career path after dropping out of law school. As for Pierre, while I wish he hadn't been quite so secretive with Lila about his royal background, I understood his desire to build a life for himself outside the spotlight and away from his family's influence. No one should be forced to live in a fishbowl just because of an accident of birth.

I highly recommend "A Royal Farce" for all fans of sweet contemporary romance, royal romance, and romantic comedy and look forward to the next book in the series.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)